Everyone loves the aroma and taste of coffee. And, who can avoid the taste of this amazing drink when it is considered to be the best stress buster during working hours. Not only it keeps you awake late night but it also helps in keeping you focused. Keurig coffee maker is the most famous drink machine that is used in almost every coffee shop or at home. If you use the same machine, then it is really important to clean it at frequent intervals. This article is going to guide you about various ways to clean a Keurig coffee maker.
Ways to Clean a Keurig Coffee Maker:
You may follow these simple ways to clean a Keurig.
1.) Disassemble the Brewer:
This is the most primary step that you must follow to clean a Keurig coffee maker.
- All you need to open up the lid of the brewer by lifting the handle of it. After this, remove the K-Cup holder inside.
- Even for removing the K-Cup holder, all you need to grab the top of the holder by using your one hand. Also, use your other hand for pushing up the bottom of K-cup assembly from below. Even the assembly should be eventually released.
- Use proper caution while removing the K-Cup holder from its place. Keep aware about the two sharp needles inside K-cup assembly, remain alert while removing as it could hurt adversely.
- Also, remember that the remaining pieces should be disassembled with a relative ease. Also, gently pull on the funnel till it gets separated from the K-Cup holder. Try to remove the drip tray by pulling it from the base of the machine. It is the basic step to clean a Keurig.
2.) Wipe the Surface of the Machine for Cleaning a Keurig:
Use a clean dry cloth for wiping the surface of the machine. It is very dirty then you may even use the damp cloth for cleaning it properly. Once you do the general cleaning, then simply place all the removable parts. There is also an alternate way to clean a Keurig coffee maker by washing the K-Cup holder with your hand.
You may even simply rinse it by placing it under warm running water. If there is a lot of impurities accumulated on it, then you may also use soap for washing it off. Once you wash all the parts properly then scrub them with a non-abrasive cloth. Leave them for some time to get dry. You may also use dry pieces for cleaning it.
3.) Clean a Keurig with Vinegar:
For washing a Keurig with vinegar all you need a solution of white vinegar. This process is also termed as descaling. This method must be used every 3-6 months for removing excessive grime that gets stuck to the inside walls of the brewer. Also, you don’t need to use a K-Cup while using this process.
For using the process of descaling mix one and a half cup of white vinegar with equal amount of water. Now, fill this mixture in the water reservoir. After this, just start the brewer cycle. It is a great method for remove the scale and lime buildup.
4.) Perform Second Vinegar Rinse Method:
This second vinegar rinse method is very important for cleaning a Keurig properly. Just take remaining 10 oz. of vinegar into the cold water reservoir.
- After this, simply place the ceramic mug on the Drip tray. Now, lift the brewer handle.
- There is no need to add a K-cup by using this method.
- Within 5 seconds simply lower the brewer handle.
- Also, press the flashing blue Brew button.
- Once you are done with this, then press the red button. This solid red button will switch off the power when it will dispense.
- You must also allow Brewer to sit for 30 minutes.
- You should even power on the Brewer and lift and lower Brewer handle.
- At last, simply press BREW button. Even when the vinegar is dispensed then simply discard all the hot contents.
5.) Use Fresh Water Rinse for Cleaning a Keurig:
Once you use the vinegar for cleaning the machine, then it is really important to clean it with fresh water to rinse a Keurig completely.
- For using this method all you need to run clean water through a brewing cycle. This is the best way for removing away any vinegar residue.
- You may also place a ceramic mug in the drip tray for catching up any kind of dispensed water.
- Also, remember that you must not add a K-Cup to the machine.
- You may even fill the water reservoir with cold and fresh water. If you are having mini models, then you should use 10 oz (300 ml) of water. If you are having standard-size models, then you should use 48 oz (1500 ml) of water.
- To clean a Keurig simply press the “Brew” button. Also, you must allow the brew cycle to run as usual. You should even discard the hot brewed water. This can be done by pouring it down into the sink afterward.
- You must use the cold water rinse up method for two to three more times for removing vinegar completely. It is the best way to prevent the vinegar taste.
Few Tips that You Must Follow:
Here are few tips that you must keep in your mind for cleaning a Keurig. These tips are very important and they must be kept in your mind to clean a Keurig coffee maker properly.
- If you really want to reduce the buildup then it is really important to use spring or bottled water instead of using distilled or softened water.
- You must also try cleaning the entry and exit points of the Keurig with needles. It is a great way of cleaning if your system is not performing properly.
- Also, forcing the air through the water line with the help of a straw is a great way to dislodge debris.
So, use the above ways properly to clean a Keurig. Your drink will taste better when you will maintain a proper hygiene of the device you use to make it. It is very easy to clean a Keurig. So, don’t feel lazy and clean it as soon as possible.