Swelling can occur due to an injury, pregnancy and other medical conditions. If it is left untreated so swelling can become frustrating and even painful. Swelling most commonly occurs in feet. It is not a disease by rather symptoms of an underlying issue. Usually, this problem arises when fluid accumulates in the tissues, lead to swelling known as edema. This can occur due to several reasons such as being overweight, standing or sitting for a longer period of time, aging, pregnancy, nutritional deficiencies, premenstrual syndrome, lack of physical exercise and poor circulation of blood. An injury or surgery the leg, foot or an ankle can cause swelling in your feet. There are many remedies to treat swelling.
Remedies to Treat Swelling
1.) Rest the Swollen Area to Reduce Swelling
If your body is swollen from an injury or poor circulation, it is the best to allow the swollen area a bit of time to rest. If you have swollen ankle or feet so try not use it in a strenuous way for at least a few days until the swelling goes down.
- If you have an injured foot so consider using crutches or a cane to take the pressure off the swollen area.
- If you have swollen arm caused by an injury, so use the other arm to perform tasks, or ask for an help from someone else.
2.) Elevate the Swollen Body Part to Treat Swelling
Whenever you sit or lie down, prop up the swollen area on pillows, above the level of your heart. This will help to prevent your blood form collecting in the swollen area and aids in circulation.
- You can use a sling to keep your arm elevated if necessary.
- If the swelling is severe, so make a point of sitting down and elevating the swollen body part for a few hours.
3.) Massage to Get Rid of Swelling
A massage therapist can do wonders for swollen feet and ankles. Rubbing the swollen area reduces swelling and increase the blood flow. You can either go for a professional massage or you can give yourself a rub down on the swollen area of your body. You should use grapefruit essential oil to help the process. If you are giving yourself a massage so focus the pushing movement upwards rather than downwards on the swollen area. If you going to massage therapist so don’t be shy about mentioning the problem when you get to your appointment, so they can focus on getting things moving in your lower extremities.
- If you are pregnant so find a therapist who specializes in prenatal massage. A prenatal massage therapist will be much more knowledgeable about how to make your comfortable.
4.) Contrast Hydrotherapy to Reduce Swelling
This type of hydrotherapy includes both cold and warm water. It is highly effective to treat swelling. Warm water helps to improve the circulation and cold water helps to reduce the swelling and inflammation.
- You need to fill the 2-foot tubs, one tub fill with cold water and other with warm water.
- Then soak your feet in the warm water for about four to five minutes.
- After soaking your feet in cold water immediately put your feet in the cold water for about one minute.
- Continue alternating for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat this process few times daily until you get relief.
5.) Epsom salt to Get Rid of Swelling
Epsom salt is a very effective remedy to treat swelling. It works fast to reduce the swelling and can help to alleviate pain and discomfort. The magnesium sulfate present in Epsom salt is easily absorbed through the skin and helps to improve circulation and reduce swelling. It is also relaxing for sore tired muscles and even helps to neutralize foot odor.
- Take half cup of Epsom salt and put in a foot tub filled with warm water.
- Then soak your swollen feet in it for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat this process three times a week.
6.) Dandelion to Reduce Swelling
Dandelion has a diuretic property which helps the body to metabolize extra fluids, make it a great remedy for swollen feet. According to the study published in the journal of alternative and complementary medicine in 2009, dandelion has a diuretic effect that helps to treat water retention. It also helps to regulate the sodium level in the body.
- You need to mix one teaspoon of fresh or dried dandelion leaves in a cup of hot water. Then cover and steep if for about 5 minutes and then strain it. drink this herbal tea 3 to 4 times a day to treat swelling.
- You can also take dandelion supplements, but first, consult your doctor before taking this.
7.) Lemon water to Treat Swelling
Drink lemon water is very effective to get rid of the swelling. Lemon water helps to flush out excess fluid and toxins present in your body, which helps to reduce swelling in the feet and another area of the body caused by water retention. It also helps to keep the body hydrated and provide anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Mix two tablespoons of lemon juice in a cup of warm water.
- If you want to sweeten it so you can add a little raw honey.
- Then drink this lemon water few times a day to see the positive result.
8.) Apple Cider Vinegar to reduce Swelling
Apple cider vinegar is the best remedy to treat swelling. It also has many other health benefits. It helps to reduce the swelling in your feet. Its high potassium content helps to reduce the fluid retention, which is a cause of the swelling.
- Take an unfiltered apple cider vinegar and mix it with an equal amount of water. Soak a towel in the solution and then wring out the excess liquid. Then wrap the towel around your swollen feet. Let it cover for about 10 times. Do the few times a day to see the positive result.
- Or you can use another method. You need to add two tablespoons of raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water. Add some honey and drink this solution twice a day to treat swelling.
9.) Coriander seeds to Treat Swelling
Using Coriander seeds is a popular ayurvedic treatment for the swollen feet. It has an anitiflammatory property which helps to reduce the swelling as well as improve circulation.
- Add two to three teaspoons of coriander seeds in a cup of water.
- Boil it until the solution reduces to half.
- Then strain the solution and let it cool slightly and drink it.
- Use this remedy two times a day until you get relief.
10.) Exercise to Reduce Swelling
Regular doing physical exercise is important for preventing swelling in your feet. Exercise stimulates blood circulation and prevents blood from pooling in your extremities.
- Swimming is one of the best exercises you can do to reduce the swelling and relieve inflammation and pain.
- Do 30 minutes of walking or jogging at least 5 days a week.
- Perform some leg strengthening and stretching exercise.
- You can also do yoga to help to improve your circulation.
11.) Magnesium to Treat Swelling
Deficiency of magnesium in the body can also contribute to swelling in the feet due to edema. Increase the consumption of foods high in magnesium to help to fight this problem.
- Eat foods rich in magnesium like nuts, dark leafy green, fish, soybeans, seeds, bananas, avocado and dark chocolate.
- You can also take magnesium supplements, but first, consult your doctor before taking this.
- Those who have heart or kidney disease shouldn’t take magnesium supplements.
12.) Grapefruit Essential Oil
A warm bath can also help to treat swelling, and you can enhance the effectiveness by adding few drops of grapefruit essential oil. You can just fill a bucket with nice warm water to soak in.
- If you don’t want to take the bath so you can mix a few drops of grapefruit oil with a carrier oil such as olive oil or almond oil and can give yourself a little foot and leg massage. As you rub your feet, ankles, and calves, focus your pressure upward, rather than downward or in a circular motion.
Tips and Warning
- Try multiple methods of reducing swelling at a time, as they can be very beneficial when combined together.
- Being overweight can contribute to bad swelling. If you are overweight and experience poor circulation and swelling. So decide to lose a weight and get healthier.
- Any unexplained swelling on your body without any cause need to be seen by a doctor.
- If you have to swell anywhere on your face so seek immediate medical assistance.
- If the swelling is very severe and you think is caused by broken bone so seek a doctor as soon as possible.