After writing how to get rid of runny nose?, how to get rid of stuffy nose?, and how to make yourself sneeze? we are now writing how to stop sneezing or a sneeze attack? A sneeze can be due to some allergy, infection or common cold. It is a natural phenomenon to sneeze. Many people are irritated with sneezing and want to stop it. There is a world record holder who kept sneezing for about 977 days. He sneezed for about million sneezes. If you don’t have a tissue handy in your social circle, then it may create an awkward and embarrassing moment for you. This article will give few ways, which can be tried for stopping a sneeze attack.
Different Ways to Stop Sneezing:
1.) Blow Your Nose
- When you feel a sneeze is about to come, take a tissue or handkerchief and blow your nose.
- This will help you to flush out the mucus, bacteria and irritants which are causing sneezing.
- Blowing out your nose will help you to stop a sneeze.
2.) Stop Sneezing by Squeezing Your Nose
Stretch a part of your nose by with your fingers. Stretching your nose can stop the sneeze since you are stretching the cartilage of your nose by stretching your nose tip.
3.) Tickle the Roof of Your Mouth
Flex the tip of your tongue and try to touch the roof of your mouth whenever you feel the sneeze is coming. It will take few seconds may be 5 to 10 seconds and your sneeze will disappear.
4.) A Little Pinch Can Help
Try to pinch the cartilage of your nose with your forefinger to stop a sneeze. The nerve which is triggering the sneeze will be pinched and will help in stopping a sneeze.
5. Apply Pressure to Stop Sneezing
- Apply pressure on the upper lip with your finger and thumb. Press your upper lip with pressure and bend it towards your nose. This will help to stop the sensation or the urge to sneeze.
- You can try applying pressure on your ear lobe to stop a sneeze. This may sound funny if you are sitting in a group at some public place, but applying pressure may create some simulation and help.
- You can try applying pressure on your eyebrows. Pinch between your eyebrows to stop a sneeze.
- You can try pinching your upper lip and press towards nose with your fingers. This may trigger some sensation and help to stop a sneeze.
6.) Try to Know the Reason Behind Your Sneeze
- Some people sneeze when they are exposed to sun or brightness. This is known as photic sneeze reflex.
- It is observed in 18% to 35% of people. It may be transmitted hereditarily.
- Whenever you go out in the sun or bright light wear some scarf or sunglasses. Keep your focus away from the bright lights.
- It is also referred to as ACHOO i.e. Autosomal dominant Compelling Helio Ophthalmic Outburst syndrome.
- You have to take the necessary precautions to save yourself from “sun sneezing” which will help in turn to stop a sneeze.
7.) Know Your Allergies to Stop Sneezing
A sneeze may be due to foreign substances present in your environment. Try to know what you are allergic to in addition to getting in touch with a doctor.
- Keep your allergies at bay by keeping your doors and windows closed. Allergens can get around you from getting into your home or car through doors and windows.
- Change your clothes when you come home after a long day. A shower can also help if you are out for so long to get rid of all the allergens and bacteria causing sneezing.
- Try antihistamines to stop a sneeze. Antihistamines will help to keep coughing, runny nose and itchy eyes away in addition to stop your sneeze.
8.) Sneeze Healthily to Stop Sneezing
When you sneeze doesn’t spread bacteria around you. Keep a handkerchief handy as the bacteria emitted out by you can affect many people around you. The best way is to keep a tissue box along with you. Whenever you sneeze, use a tissue and dispose of that tissue. If you don’t have a handkerchief or tissue handy then sneeze in your hands and wash your hands thoroughly to get rid of all the bacteria.
Try to use hand sanitizer after you sneeze as your hands touch many areas which can spread bacteria among others being it a communicable disease. Say “Sorry” or “Excuse Me” if you are sneezing in a larger group. Try to sneeze as quiet as possible so that you don’t disturb anyone around you at your workplace or in a group. It is always good and appreciated if you sneeze politely without spreading germs around.
9.) Make Yourself Angry to Stop Sneezing
You can try to make yourself angry by biting your teeth together as hard you can. This may help to stop a sneeze.
Other Tips to Stop a Sneezing:
- Try saline water drops in your nose to stop a sneeze attack.
- Carry a tissue or handkerchief always.
- Try not to spread germs when you sneeze.
- Don’t hold your sneeze forcefully it may harm your lungs or may cause some injury.
- Have tea with honey and lemon to stop a sneeze attack and to feel warm.